CONFIDENCE remains strong in Queensland’s fixed speed camera network despite the New South Wales Government shutting down more than a quarter of its devices last week.
A complete review of Queensland’s fixed speed cameras, which have been used since December 2007, was undertaken in 2010 by the Economic Development Committee as a Parliamentary Inquiry.
The review found the state’s fixed speed cameras were effective and the committee acknowledged the system was just one part of the overall speed management effort.
NSW’s Roads and Traffic Authority was ordered to shut down 38 of its 141 cameras last week following a report by Auditor-General Peter Achterstraat, which found while the overall impact of speed cameras had been positive, some had little safety benefit.
Queensland Police Minister Neil Roberts said the selection of sites for fixed speed cameras, including new cameras on the Bruce Highway near Beerburrum and the Caloundra Road turnoff, was based on criteria including crash history data, traffic flow, risk profile and police intelligence.
Statistics obtained from Queensland Police media show the fixed speed camera at Burpengary, touted as the second most successful in the state, had recorded an 86% drop in the number of drivers caught speeding in just four years.
“The evidence is clear, fixed speed cameras are encouraging Queensland motorists to drive at or below the speed limit,” Mr Roberts said.
RACQ Traffic and Safety Department executive manager John Wikman said the organisation supported the use of fixed speed cameras where mobile vans or hand-held LIDAR guns, were unsuitable.
“We welcome the additional sites which went online on Tuesday. We understand there is a fairly substantial crash history associated with the 13km stretch between the two cameras on the Sunshine Coast,” Mr Wikman said.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.