Back from the dead ... Black Friday creeps up again
BROOMSTICKS have been flying off the shelves at The Party Hut as Toowoomba businesses get into the spirit of Black Friday.
The ghoulish Friday the 13th date has reappeared for the second time this year, giving the city's crones another chance to cackle in the night.
Party Hut owner Paul Mason said the day provided a welcome interlude to the rush of Santa Claus-themed costumes in the lead-up to Christmas.
"Businesses are really the ones that embrace Friday the 13th every year," he said.
"They like to dress up their shops and have a bit of fun while bringing some extra attention to their stores."
(Not so) spooky stuff
- Black Friday actually draws its name from stock market crashes in the 1800s when the price of gold reached a high not beaten for another 100 years.
- The next Black Friday - the only one for next year - will be on June 13, 2014.
- Fear of the number 13 is called triskaidekaphobia.
- The irrational fear of Friday the 13th is known as paraskavedekatriaphobia.
- Superstitions in several South American countries relate to Tuesday the 13th, not Friday.
- NASA'S Apollo 13 mission was launched at 13:13 on April 11, 1970. The explosion that destroyed it happened on Monday, April 13.
- Ancient Chinese and Egyptians believed 13 was a lucky number.