Bravehearts calls for inquiry into child rapist letter

LEADING child safety advocate Hetty Johnston has called for a full investigation to be launched after it was revealed a violent rapist was allowed to send his nine-year-old victim a love letter from inside prison.

The Bravehearts founder said she felt sick when it was revealed pedophile Christopher John McCoy, 21, was once again preying on his young victim from inside prison walls.

In the letter, addressed to the young boy, McCoy said he loved him and told him how much he was suffering inside prison.

McCoy, who is from Kingsthorpe west of Toowoomba, pleaded guilty in Maroochydore District Court to recording himself committing revolting sex acts on a friend's younger brother at his home in Caloundra.

The details of the eight offences, which occurred in January last year, were not disclosed in court, but did include one charge of actual penile penetration.

The offences only came to light after McCoy's younger brother found a sex video and photos of the boy on his mobile phone and reported them to their mother, who then informed police.

RAPIST SENDS CHILD LOVE LETTER

Ms Johnston, talking exclusively to APN Newsdesk who broke the story, said on Thursday McCoy's actions were simply revolting.

"I am horrified at what happened like everyone else across the country," she said.

"You would think someone would have seen the letter and inspected it.

"Something has gone very wrong. It should never been allowed to happen."

Ms Johnston said serious questions needed to be asked of prison authorities at the facility south of Brisbane where McCoy is housed.

"Polices and procedures need to be looked at," she said.

"For an offender to be able to send a letter to his victim is simply not on.

"If people want to say it is an invasion of the offender's privacy (by checking their mail) then they should be prepared for a fight.

"What happened is an invasion of the victim's privacy and their families' privacy.

"The family needs answers and people need to be held accountable for what happened."

SENTENCE FOR RAPE OF 8-YEAR-OLD BOY APPEALED

Sydney-based radio presenter Ray Hadley highlighted the story to his listeners on Thursday during his popular breakfast segment.

Mr Hadley, who contacted APN Newsdesk to express his outrage, said the system had failed the young victim and his family.

"I cannot believe this was allowed to happen," he said.

"It was the ultimate insult to the young boy and his family.

"How can the system in Queensland allow a sex offender to write to his victim?

"It is sickening and absolutely abhorrent."

Mr Hadley said he would continue to highlight the case to his listeners until the Sunshine Coast family received the answers they rightly deserved.

He also expressed dismay at McCoy's nine months jail sentence which is currently under appeal.


Miss Show Girl enjoys bringing people together

Miss Show Girl enjoys bringing people together

Get to know Bridget Webster.

Inaugural fishing competition hits participant capacity

Inaugural fishing competition hits participant capacity

Rides, activities and fire works will be operating on Saturday.

Local Partners