Boy, 10, faces court over serious assault charges
A 10-YEAR-OLD boy on a string of assault charges has been refused bail and remanded in custody after appearing before Toowoomba Children's Court yesterday.
The diminutive lad had spent the night in the watch house before appearing before a closed court on charges including assault occasioning bodily harm while armed, common assault and wilful damage arising from incidents alleged to have occurred on Sunday.
Though he had no previous criminal history, the boy was on bail for a number of other matters including three other charges of assault occasioning bodily harm, wilful damage, common assaults and shop lifting, the court heard.
It is believed the alleged assaults were committed against staff members of a supervised safe house facility in Toowoomba where the boy had been living.
His solicitor Divina DeLeon told the court her client had significant behavioural problems stemming from grief and loss issues after the deaths of a number of close family members in a car accident.
Ms DeLeon said she had organised for a psychologist to assess her client's mental state and capacity and asked that he be granted bail.
Police objected to bail on the grounds the boy continued to commit offences.
Magistrate Bruce Schemioneck deemed the boy an "unacceptable risk" if granted bail in that he could commit further offences and that he could be a risk to the safety of others. He refused bail.
Mr Schemioneck ordered a special watch be kept of the 10-year-old while he remained in custody and adjourned all charges for mention back in the same court on March 5.