Billy still undecided on future
NRL: Melbourne Storm fullback Billy Slater is still undecided on his future after this season.
The 34-year-old previously suggested this season could be his last and yesterday said he wanted to make the most of 2018 as the club chases back-to-back premierships.
"Naturally you do have thoughts, but I haven't made a decision on what I do past this year,” Slater said.
"I don't know what I will do next year and I'll make that decision down the track but I don't think I'll leave it until the end of the year.”
Slater wants to play in his fourth World Club Challenge game when the Storm face Leeds Rhinos at AAMI Park on February 16 and thinks Cameron Smith will play too.
Slater and the other players who competed at the World Cup returned to training only in the past two weeks.
"I'll be playing unless something happens in the next couple of weeks, I'll be out there definitely,” Slater said.
"I haven't spoken to Cam about playing but I'd think he would put his hand up to play and he enjoys the big games.
"It's at the start of the year which is a little bit rare but at the end of the day it's a World Club Challenge and it's a privilege to play in it.”
Slater will not play in the team's closed-doors trial with Newcastle Knights tomorrow.
The Origin and Kangaroo No.1 said controversial back Cameron Munster needed to take a bigger leadership role this season after Cooper Cronk's departure for Sydney Roosters.
Munster has come under the spotlight for his partying after allegations he had a fight with teammate Ben Hunt while away with the Australian Kangaroos during the World Cup.
Hunt denied the incident occurred during a press conference yesterday.
"Munster has been real impressive in the two weeks since I got back,” Slater said.
"He has stepped up into a leadership here at training and he will have to do that with Cooper moving on, with who partners Munster is still up in the air.”
Brodie Croft and Ryley Jacks are battling to replace Cronk.