Caboolture man surrenders to police after four hour siege
UPDATE: A SIEGE near a school in Caboolture has ended peacefully after a 56-year-old man surrendered himself to police and was taken into custody.
Four hours after declaring an emergency situation, police revoked the Public Safety Preservation Act (PSPA) at Lee Street Caboolture at 5:35 today.
Investigations are continuing.
A 54-year-old man is still holed-up in his Lee Street, Caboolture apartment after police declared an emergency situation earlier today.
Police inspector Patrick O'Loughlin said police made a routine welfare check on the man at about 10.40am this morning when he refused to speak to them.
"He made no specific threats to police, he just will not engage with us," he said.
Insp O'Loughlin said police declared the emergency situation as a precaution for the whole area.
"We don't know what his issue is, that's part of the problem, he's not communicating with us in any meaningful way," he said.
At about 1pm police declared the emergency situation and set up a 60 metre exclusion zone including most of Lee Street and some of the surrounding roads.
About 15 police men and women are on scene with two ambulance crews on hand.
UPDATE: THE school has posted on its Facebook page that it is operating as normal despite Police declaring an emergent situation just opposite the main entrance.
"The school is operating as per normal," the post said.
"Students are in class and learning and there is no risk to our school community."
The statement went on to say that if the situation continues to 2.55pm, which is the dismissal time, parents who pick up students are encouraged to use Charles Street, and students will exit through the back gate, or the lower part of Lee Street is open past Macpherson Street.
School buses will operate as normal and will pick up further down Lee st.
UPDATE: 1:56pm WHILE some residents living on Lee Street have been allowed to go back into their homes, an emergent situation was declared at 1pm.
Around 10.40am police attended a unit in Lee Street to speak to a man who had reportedly locked himself inside a unit and was making threats.
It is not believed anyone else is at risk and police said they won't know if the man has explosives inside with him until police can access his apartment.
The exclusion zone covers a radius of around 60 metres which includes a section of Lee Street near Charles Street.
The area also includes the intersections of Charles and Lee streets and Charles and Lower King streets.
Traffic diversions are in place.
Police have door-knocked residents within the boundary and have advised them to remain inside at this time.
A school located within the boundary of the declaration has been advised of the situation.
There is no current threat to the school or students.
A plan has been prepared for the end of the school day with buses to collect students from a lower oval area near the intersection of McPherson Street.
Parents are advised that this is also the best location to collect students.
Police are asking motorists traveling in the area to expect delays around this time and to be patient.
EARLIER: POLICE have set up a 60 metre exclusion zone outside a house in Lee Street, Caboolture.
Police are currently attending an incident which has occurred in a house in the same street of Caboolture State High School.
Neighbours say a man who lives in the unit on Lee Street has made threats of a bomb and barricaded himself inside.
UPDATE: Residents say the man who has barricaded himself inside his Lee Street unit has threatened them with a bomb. http://t.co/SUHG105YeE— Caboolture News (@CabooltureNews) August 7, 2015
Residents say he had been threatening neighbours over several days.
Police negotiators are on the scene and the road is now completely blocked with no cars being allowed through.
School appears to be continuing as normal with students observed walking around school grounds.
Two ambulances are also attending the incident.
No further information is available at this time.