AS THE sun rose this Anzac Day, two Ma Ma Creek RSL members remembered the sacrifice of three local war heroes who lost their lives during World War 1.
The commemorative monument in honour of the Andrews brothers, placed in the St Stephen's Anglican Cemetery at Ma Ma Creek, was built by the brothers' family.
Fleurine Elise Andrews, mother to James, George and Bertie and widow of David Andrews, had the monument erected close to home in 1920 after requesting memorials to her three sons be placed near one another in France.
The memorial dedicated to the three brothers, all killed in France within three years of each other, has ensured the legacy of their family lives on, as inscribed on the monument: "Their name liveth for evermore".
James and Bertie enlisted on October 29, 1915, and were camped in Brisbane before sailing for Egypt in March 1916.
After arriving in France in May, 1916, they joined the 25th Battalion at the front on August 2.
James was killed after two days in action on August 5, 1916, at age 26. Bertie had been sent to England with a gunshot wound to his right foot on the same day.
He was to stay there until February 1918.
Before enlisting, George was a farm hand at the Gatton Agricultural College and farm manager in Townsville where he was starting an agricultural experimental farm.
The youngest of the family, Bertie had been recovering from his wound in England while his older brothers were reported as missing for many months until finally confirmed as deceased.
Bertie was killed in action on June 10, 1918, during the Australian attack on Morlancourt when he was just 20 years old.