News

Man in coma after shock while charging iPhone

A Chinese man was sent into a coma after being shocked whiled charging his iPhone
A Chinese man was sent into a coma after being shocked whiled charging his iPhone

A 30-YEAR-old Chinese man, Wu Jian Tong, has fallen into a coma after receiving an electric shock by  a charging iPhone.

The news comes less than a week after reports of a Chinese air hostess killed whilst answering a call on her own charging iPhone.

Wu reportedly yelled "I'm getting shocked" after connecting his iPhone 4 to a charger. His sister rescued him by pulling the charger - later found to be a counterfeit or third-party product - from the socket.

"I then felt needle-like pains on my fingertips. The current was running from my finger, through to my arm and body, and to the foot," said Wu's sister. At this point her brother had become unresponsive, spasming and foaming at the mouth.

When an ambulance arrived on the scene Wu was not breathing, and paramedics had to resuscitate him as well as pry open the fingers of his left hand, which had clamped shut on the iPhone.

After taking him to the hospital Wu was found to be in a coma, albeit in a stable condition. "It was no doubt an electric shock," said Wu's doctor at Beijing's Hai Dian Hospital.

In a response to the incident Apple have said: "It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a "knock off" or counterfeit charger and we are looking into this further."

"Our customers' safety is very important to us and we have carefully designed all Apple products to meet government safety standards. We recommend our customers only purchase Apple products from Apple or authorized Apple resellers."

Some reports have also suggested that counterfeit charger was also responsible for the earlier death of air hostess and bride-to-be Ma Ailun.

After Ma's death Chinese citizens argued back and forth on the internet regarding the threat posed by charging iPhones. Ma's sister tweeted the incident, saying "I want to warn everyone else not to make phone calls when your mobile phone is recharging."

Early reports over Wu's electrocution suggest that a counterfeit charger, not Apple, is responsible. Such items are often poorly constructed with inadequate insulation, and the Chinese government are well-known for their inability to stifle counterfeit markets.

Local papers also reported that on the day of Wu's electrocution it had been raining and the air inside the house very humid - factors that would have exacerbated the danger from the charger.

Topics:  china, editors picks, iphone


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Lockyer Valley wildlife carer busy after Laidley fires

Wildlife carer Ludo Valenza is worried the recent spate of fires around Laidley may have injured native wildlife.

Lockyer Valley wildlife carer concerned by Laidley fires.

Breast-cakes raise awareness at Lockyer morning tea

BREAST CAKES: Lockyer Valley mayor Tanya Milligan and morning tea host Anna McWhinney show off the breast cancer awareness cupcakes.

Ladies grab cupcakes for cancer council

Fourth Laidley fire clearly lit on purpose: Police

The fire on Paroz St, Laidley, captured by Ray Watterson.

Laidley fire treated as suspicious

Latest deals and offers

Police chase ends in Helidon with tyre deflation device

TWO crooks have tried to outrun Police after stealing a car in Helidon yesterday.

Lockyer Valley wildlife carer busy after Laidley fires

Wildlife carer Ludo Valenza is worried the recent spate of fires around Laidley may have injured native wildlife.

Lockyer Valley wildlife carer concerned by Laidley fires.

Breast-cakes raise awareness at Lockyer morning tea

BREAST CAKES: Lockyer Valley mayor Tanya Milligan and morning tea host Anna McWhinney show off the breast cancer awareness cupcakes.

Ladies grab cupcakes for cancer council

Fourth Laidley fire clearly lit on purpose: Police

The fire on Paroz St, Laidley, captured by Ray Watterson.

Laidley fire treated as suspicious

Three Laidley fires under investigation

BLAZING: Wayne Hawes captures this image of a fire on a hill near Douglas McInnes Dr, Laidley.

Laidley fires under investigation.

Having a ball at the Lowood ball

Gary Wormington and dance partner Nola Parsons had a ball dancing together.

All the glitz and glam from the Lowood Show Ball.

The best retro movies of the week? May 27 - June 3

Gregory Peck Photo Contributed

This week TV fan get to see Tom Cruise in a 1980s classics

Barnaby Joyce talks Johnny Depp's dogs in Tweed

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce talks about Johnny Depp's dogs Pistol and Boo...

Billy Slater talks Origin Team

Queensland Origin great Billy Slater.

Queensland Origin great Billy Slater talks about this years team and his return to...

Road rage caught on Dashcam

Attack with a baseball bat caught on Dashcam

Video of a violent road rage incident in Orange last December.

Own Sunshine Coast property? You’re about to make money

UP AND UP: Property owners are likely to win from rent and price increases but tenants and first home buyers might not be so happy. Photo: Brett Wortman / Sunshine Coast Daily

Good new for property owners, not so good for buyers and tenants.

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked