Lemon and poppyseed cake
- 300g unsalted butter
- 300g raw sugar
- Five eggs (free range)
- Zest of five lemons
- 360g gluten-free flour (can also use buckwheat flour)
- 15g baking powder
- 60g poppyseeds
- 240ml milk (at room temp)
- Syrup for pouring over cakes
- 300ml water
- Juice from five lemons (about 300ml)
- 150g raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C fan-forced or 180C conventional. Prepare tins for cupcakes or a loaf tin.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing well.
- Add zest and mix in.
- Using a spatula (as to not over-mix the cake batter) fold in the flour, baking powder and poppyseeds.
- Slowly stir in milk until all combined.
- Spoon into cupcake moulds or into loaf tin. Cupcakes take about 15-18 minutes and loaf tin about 45-50 minutes.
- While the cakes are baking, prepare the syrup by juicing the lemons, straining off the seeds. Bring the juice, water and sugar to the boil.
- When the cakes are baked, remove from the oven and poke small holes with a skewer. Carefully pour or spoon warm syrup over the warm cakes.
- When the cakes are cool, remove from the tin.
- These are lovely eaten plain as they are, with lemon icing or clotted cream.