EVER get the feeling that there are more advertisements on television than actual programs? Emu Park's Barry Maslen does - it's his pet hate.
From the Ahh Brah to the Abswing and endless plugs for competitive cooking shows, Barry has had enough.
"It's just one after the other - I'm fed up with it," he said.
"In an hour program we only get about three quarters of actual television."
In the Australian Communications and Media Authority's (ACMA) Digital Australians report released in October last year, 45% of people complained about the number of ad breaks on television.
The issue even beat violence on television to become the number one concern of viewers.
But Barry said not only were there too many advertisements, they were also the wrong ads - the worst being those pushing greasy, unhealthy foods.
"They're to blame for obesity in younger generations, 110%," he said.
Barry, who has worked in the food industry in the past and lived overseas both in New Zealand and Norfolk Island, said Australia's obesity problem was of growing concern.
"Here it's just too convenient for young people to get junk food and the ads don't help.
"I know they've got to play them otherwise there would be no TV at all but advertise something that's decent and not detrimental to our health," Barry said.
The 10 most complained about ads of 2011
Data from the Australian Advertising Standards Bureau:
1. Poster - Queensland Association for Health Communities - The ad portrays two men hugging and says "Rip & Roll" with a picture of a condom on it.
2. TV - Energy Watch - Featured an Indian person doorknocking to sell the best deals for energy.
3. Billboard - MyPeace - Jesus - A prophet of Islam with a phone number for people to call to receive a free Koran.
4. Billboard - Queensland Association for Health Communities - Rip Roll - The ad portrays two men with one kissing the other's neck. The billboard says it is a safe sex message.
5. TV - Essential Beauty Franchising - The advertisement shows a book with the first letters of words swapped around to tell the story of a woman requiring hair removal from personal areas.
6. Poster - General Pants Group - Photo of a topless woman. Her nipples taped with black tape and male hands unzipping her pants. In the background there are giant words advertising 'Sex' and tiny print saying 'fashion'.
7. TV - Foxtel Management Pty Ltd - A family is shown setting up Christmas lights on their house. When the lights go on they spell out the words MERRY FOXMAS.
8. TV - Supre Pty Ltd - Woman wearing product dancing around.
9. Billboard - The Tool Shop -Three provocatively dressed women stand near the words "How about all three?"
Tie 10. TV - Optus Communications - The ad features two crocodiles " "playing" tennis. They are using a Sugar Glider as the "ball".
And: TV - Santos Ltd - Ad shows a farmer on his tractor in a beautiful countryside setting advocating coal seam gas and claiming the advertiser, Santos, is looking after our future.
What ads bother you the most, and why? Leave a comment below.
The most valuable part of any property is always the land content, so how much are you willing to pay for a classic eastside residence on 1553m2 in absolute dress...
Ideal first home OR fantastic addition to your investment portfolio! Combining such a great location with this versatile floor plan is a stroke of genius.
Welcome home to this rustic early 1935's built Queenslander family home. Set on a massive 4400m2 block, which has been sectioned off into two huge blocks, perfect...
Without a doubt the historic Newtown precinct is a prime inner city growth corridor and character homes on large allotments are now in high demand. This much...
Every now and then a special property hits the market and this home certain to create excitement. With so many features and creature comforts the list seems...
Manhattan Estate - At Prince Henry Drive - Only 1 Remaining. Northern views over the Great Dividing Range across an unspoiled blue/green valley. Your home will...
Situation: 30km Millmerran, 100km Toowoomba Facilities: 3 phase power, school bus, mail 3 days Area and Tenure: 337.63HA (834.30 acres) Country: Country...
You'll love this beautiful 3097m2 allotment which is located only minutes from Highfields and only a 20 minute drive to Toowoomba. Build your dream home and enjoy...
This beautifully presented family home is exactly what you have been waiting for Beautiful Bunya Mountain Views, Space and the perfect Highfields Location. This...
This generous home was built to impress. Set at the end of a culdesac in a beautiful park like setting this home will take you right away from the busy world. With...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.