EVER get the feeling that there are more advertisements on television than actual programs? Emu Park's Barry Maslen does - it's his pet hate.
From the Ahh Brah to the Abswing and endless plugs for competitive cooking shows, Barry has had enough.
"It's just one after the other - I'm fed up with it," he said.
"In an hour program we only get about three quarters of actual television."
In the Australian Communications and Media Authority's (ACMA) Digital Australians report released in October last year, 45% of people complained about the number of ad breaks on television.
The issue even beat violence on television to become the number one concern of viewers.
But Barry said not only were there too many advertisements, they were also the wrong ads - the worst being those pushing greasy, unhealthy foods.
"They're to blame for obesity in younger generations, 110%," he said.
Barry, who has worked in the food industry in the past and lived overseas both in New Zealand and Norfolk Island, said Australia's obesity problem was of growing concern.
"Here it's just too convenient for young people to get junk food and the ads don't help.
"I know they've got to play them otherwise there would be no TV at all but advertise something that's decent and not detrimental to our health," Barry said.
The 10 most complained about ads of 2011
Data from the Australian Advertising Standards Bureau:
1. Poster - Queensland Association for Health Communities - The ad portrays two men hugging and says "Rip & Roll" with a picture of a condom on it.
2. TV - Energy Watch - Featured an Indian person doorknocking to sell the best deals for energy.
3. Billboard - MyPeace - Jesus - A prophet of Islam with a phone number for people to call to receive a free Koran.
4. Billboard - Queensland Association for Health Communities - Rip Roll - The ad portrays two men with one kissing the other's neck. The billboard says it is a safe sex message.
5. TV - Essential Beauty Franchising - The advertisement shows a book with the first letters of words swapped around to tell the story of a woman requiring hair removal from personal areas.
6. Poster - General Pants Group - Photo of a topless woman. Her nipples taped with black tape and male hands unzipping her pants. In the background there are giant words advertising 'Sex' and tiny print saying 'fashion'.
7. TV - Foxtel Management Pty Ltd - A family is shown setting up Christmas lights on their house. When the lights go on they spell out the words MERRY FOXMAS.
8. TV - Supre Pty Ltd - Woman wearing product dancing around.
9. Billboard - The Tool Shop -Three provocatively dressed women stand near the words "How about all three?"
Tie 10. TV - Optus Communications - The ad features two crocodiles " "playing" tennis. They are using a Sugar Glider as the "ball".
And: TV - Santos Ltd - Ad shows a farmer on his tractor in a beautiful countryside setting advocating coal seam gas and claiming the advertiser, Santos, is looking after our future.
What ads bother you the most, and why? Leave a comment below.
The combination of a first class renovation and a fantastic location makes this home too good to miss. Situated in a quiet, leafy street on a fully fenced 693m2...
A desirable and peaceful Rangeville address close to schools, shops and parkland in gorgeous tree lined street, an ideal northern orientation, and heaps of space...
This grandly designed builders home combines the best of classic details with modern conveniences to suit the demands of everyday life. Completed in 2011, this...
The owners of this gorgeous home have successfully mixed classic details with modern elements to fashion a home that is loaded with charm which is sure to appeal...
Situated close to all conveniences is this low set brick 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 car lock up accommodation low maintenance home on a flat 2500m2 block. You will...
Simply sensational value here with this modern 4 bedroom ensuited home packed with features. Offering 3 seperate living areas, ducted air conditioning throughout...
Set on a large fully fenced 3007m2 block, this home boasts a 12m x 7m powered shed located discretely to the side of this large contemporary home with its own...
You must be quick for this one! Come and discover this immaculate home fit for the whole family with four generously sized bedrooms, two bathrooms and two large...
There is an endless list of possibilities on offer with this appealing character home in superb location within walking distance to St Ursula's College. ...
Buy in the street and suburb where everybody wants to be. This home is overflowing with charm and character and there is potential for the buyer's personal...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.